Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Music Spotlght: MxPx

During the later years of my high school career I transitioned from listening to radio friendly country to independent rock. This transition was helped along by MTV's 120 Minutes, a great show hosted by Mat Pinfield that highlighted interesting bands in a variety of genres. The MTV of this era was a far cry from where it is now. Imagine a channel with no reality shows, a minimal amount of sound-a-like hip hop bands, and hosts that actually knew music. Ah, I miss those days.

Now that I'm ordering new music for the library I hope to play the part of Mat Pinfield for the youth of the area. In the spirit of my high school years, I've ordered a handful of albums that will appeal to teenagers, as well as those who, like myself, have trouble convincing others that they aren't teenagers.

MxPx
is one band that 120 Minutes introduced me to that I'll always be a fan of. The group formed in 1992 while each of the three members were 15. Only four years after their formation they released their seminal pop punk ode to high school life, Life In General. Song titles like My Mom Still Cleans My Room and Chick Magnet let you know that MxPx often uses humor in their songwriting. But, the album isn't without its serious moments which is evident in songs like Doing Time and Today is in My Way. The group's sound was similar to the raw, unpolished style that groups like Green Day and Blink 182 posesed at that time, but, surprisingly, they didn't resort to the vulgarity that both those bands relied on.

Most high school bands seem to break up as quickly as they start. However, after thirteen years, MxPx is still together. You can check out their latest album, Secret Weapon, from Harbin Memorial. Life In General will soon be available at our Central City Location. I suggested checking both out to get an idea of how much they've grown as a band.

Stay tuned for more reviews and be sure to browse our music racks when you stop by.

-Wesley

No comments: